Introduction

The Skagafj÷r­ur Heritage Museum (Bygg­asafn Skagfir­inga) was established in 1948, following the departure of the last inhabitants at the GlaumbŠr old farm house in 1947. The museumĺs first exhibition at the GlaumbŠr turf farm opened in 1952. This farmhouse corresponds to the typical buildings used in Iceland for centuries. The turf house currently exhibits artifacts focusing on rural daily life in the 18th and 19th century.

On the museum grounds of GlaumbŠr are also present twoá19thácentury timber houses: ┴sh˙s and Gilsstofa. These houses are a reminder of how timber houses were built in the region at the time. ┴sh˙s includes exhibitions of daily items ranging from theá2ndáhalf of theá19thácentury to the half of theá20thácentury and the tea room ┴skaffi whicháserves traditional light Icelandic delicacies. Gilsstofa contains a gift shop and the museum's administrative offices.á

Together, this complex of three buildings form a powerful reminder of life up to theá20thácentury in rural Iceland.

á

GlaumbŠr old turf farm The Heritage House

á

Exhibitions in the Heritahe House (in Sau­ßrkrˇkur) are very different from the ones presented at GlaumbŠr. For more information on the Heritage House, please visit this page or visit us on Facebook.

GlaumbŠr á| á551 Sau­ßrkrˇkur á| áSÝmi 453 6173 á| ábsk@skagafjordur.is